Tuesday, April 25, 2006

H is for Hair for Handspinning!

The lovely Carolyn of Kids and Knits (blog) sent me some mohair!

First clip kid mohair locks. I love to play with fiber, and never played with mohair from scratch before!

Here lie the locks drying.


They got three baths in the sink with a little dish soap and warm water.


First washing water...see the dirt! This little kid was enjoying his time outside I think!


The mohair is so very soft and fine. The difference between 1st clip kid mohair and some of that old itchy mohair stuff is like the difference between cashmere and hemp!

Up next, I'll be playing with the carding and spinning of it. It's so fine, it really likes to become super charged with static electricity when I brush it out. Any hints to avoid the static? I was thinking of doing something with dryer sheets but haven't figured out what yet.

Thanks Carolyn!

6 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Anonymous rose said...

Carolyn is such an awesome person (she was my downstream sp for this round, so I know). What a wonderful gift :)

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger bradyphrenia said...

wow, very neat! your blog is teaching me all kinds of things about fiber. :-)

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger sgeddes said...

What a neat thing to see!It looks so soft and fluffy, can't wait to see the final results.

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

I can't believe it was so dirty ;)
It looks wonderful now you've washed it!

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger cpurl17 said...

Great post! I love seeing the process...

Carolyn IS an awesome person--I'm the lucky girl who was her downstream SP!!

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger DSL Flock to Fiber said...

Hi Sarah, Try soaking your mohair in water and hair conditioner. That's what I do with my mohair. Visit my sites I have lots of mohair, photos of my Angora Goats. Linda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home