Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Alice Starmore Aran Knitting swatches

In anticipation of working up to knitting one (or more) of the sweaters in Alice Starmore's Aran Knitting, I've started knitting the swatches in the book. She basically lays out a program of Aran knitting in chapter 2 of the book whereby working through the different sections on techniques, charts, and knitting tips you can learn to knit intuitively, and once the patterns are set with a single chart repeat, not need the charts to complete the knitting.

This knitting Aran's intuitively is my next big knitterly goal. So, I'm working with the swatches, and knitting them as intuitively as possible. I know that when I developed a sense of how to read my knitting as I went along, my knitting got both better and faster. So, to do this with complicated patterns, and not need to use a chart is a good goal for me.

Swatch 1: Basic Rope Cables: an even number of stitches crossed on the same number of rows; twisting away from each other.


Swatch 2: Rope Cable Variations: A 2 stitch, a 4 stitch and a 6 stitch cable, twisting towards each other.


Swatch 3: More Rope Cable Variations: Here we have cables crossed at intervals not equal to the stitch width of the cables. And one cable with two different crossing intervals.


So, I've started on Swatch 4, I figure I'll put them up as I complete them. After swatch 4 I venture into new knitting territory, so that should be fun!

Swatches 1-3 were knit with a partial skein of Starmore's Bainin yarn that came to me with the other yarn. The rest of the swatches will have to be in other yarns.
I used size 6US needles as she suggested in the book for the Bainin.

Otherwise, I did finish both the fronts and the back now for the Drop stitch cardi...and started a sleeve. I also started a simple black shawl, that I'm hoping to wear to a wedding in June. And spinning.

The house stuff continues. Still planning on moving in about 2 weeks! So, the knitting/spinning will definitely be slowing down soon, as the packing commences.

4 Comments:

At 1:34 PM, Blogger Boogs said...

Super job! Love those cables!!! *L*

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Carolyn said...

Good work! I'm sure you'll find when you knit a garment that the cable pattern suddenly "clicks" and you'll know what to do without referring to the chart. I found that with my Aran Pullover from IK - mind you it took most of knitting the back for it to click - but then I'm a slow learner ;)

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Ooh - what are you going to do with them? Patch them together for a throw? Sew a couple together and stuff 'em with cat nip? Oh the possibilities. There's something more than just a swatch there. So nice. I'd like to read my knitting to figure out when to cable as well. That stupid Irish Hiking scarf woulda gone a lot faster without a row counter.

 
At 10:30 AM, Anonymous badrockcanyon said...

Hi Sarah, I am looking for the aran starmore knitting book for less than $190, as on ebay. Know where I might try? I am a beginner knitter and have fallen love with fiber and cables and fair isle. Do you use the swatches to design your own patterns? I have trouble with some patterns and find if I can see the swatch I can figure out how to incorporate it into my work. Where is four corners? I am in the badrock canyon in a little town called Hungry Horse on the middle fork of the flathead river. Cheers Barbara

 

Post a Comment

<< Home