Wednesday, March 29, 2006

My first Wheel-Spun Yarn.

First, the wheel that made it:

Isn't she pretty? A Fricke double treadle with the Woolee Winder setup (which I totally love btw).

Close up of the Mallard Merino yarn. 2-ply, a little thick and thin, averaging on worsted weight.


The whole skein, laying on the windowsill; because damn, my house is clean! Having an open house will do that to you. I haven't measured yardage, I kinda forgot to in the midst of my excitement about the yarn.


Gratuitous kitty pic. Tele on top, Lucy in the middle, and Dory on the bottom. They seem to really like the new comforter we got.


OK. We're not buying the old adobe farmhouse. Nate went out to the property with a structural engineer yesterday, and it needs either a new foundation, or new floors in each room down to the ground. The problem here being not being able to get a loan on a house that needs this type of work, and also, and the engineer said, not even being able to find a contractor to do the work. So. We know what we want, and we're going to keep looking. We realized in all of this that we really want a place with land for sheep and a big organic garden and herb plot. We want a little different lifestyle. So, we'll keep looking. In fact, Nate is going to go look at another place today!

6 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Too bad on the house. It sounded so neat. I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for though.

And wow - for your first time on the wheel (not that I know - I haven't even seen a drop spindle in person yet) that yarn looks like - well - yarn! Most of what I've seen online for first-timers has been uber-thick and thin. Giving "slubby" a new name. Yours is so pretty! Almost ready to go beyond your "practice" fibers?

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Carolyn said...

House hunting can be really tough, especially when you see somewhere you really like and it's just not meant to be. The right house will find you, don't worry!

Your handspun is beautiful BTW ;)

Oh, and you have ROSES in bloom, sigh.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger jen said...

Your dream life sounds a lot like mine – country living, organic garden, except I MUST have alpacas! Our husbands even have the same name...
:p Holy parallel universe!

The yarn is beautiful... great colour! I'm glad to see a Fricke wheel being used, as it's one of the eventual wheel options I'm throwing around in my brain right now.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Areli said...

Pretty yarn! I can't believe it's your first handspun. Nice color, too.

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

Sarah, your handspun is gorgeous. I'm stearing clear of spinning for now - I'm moving in June, no need to add even a spindle to the stash until I'm settled and it's at least July :).

Sorry about the house. You'll find the right place for you, I know it.

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger granola said...

sorry about the house falling through, but I think you'll find something perfect for you.

very pretty mallard yarn there. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home