Tuesday, October 18, 2005

TR: Deso

(Or Trip Report: Desolation and Gray Canyons of the Green River, Utah, September 26-October 2, 2005.)

Desolation and Gray Canyons of the Green River, approximately 84 river miles, 6-8 days on the river. Put in at Sand Wash, river mile 96 and take out at Swasey's Rapid river mile 12 just north of Green River Utah.

It was an excellent trip. One rainy day where we counted 10 thunderstorms. Many excellent meals, memories, conversations, rapids and laughs.

Some highlights:

Ruins of a stone hewn ranch house at Rock Creek from the turn of the 20th Century


Petroglyphs at one of the side canyons. One of the best panels I've seen!


The rainy day camp. It was gorgeous. More petroglyphs to be found in the canyon behind, and an exciting night as we were woken up twice to the sound of rockfall from the canyon walls.


The upper stretches of the river were flat like a lake. You can see the canyon walls reflected perfectly in the river. Two days of rowing til you start to hit rapids.


A sprained ankle left me knitting socks one morning as I was banned from rigging boats (It feels pretty good now).


My favorite photo of the trip. A moose. In southern Utah. Janet (who spent 7 years guiding on Deso) said if someone told her they saw a moose in gray canyon, she would've said 'Not a chance'). A pretty rare sighting, and very cool.


The moose again, we watched him (her?) swim across the river.


Two horses at Rock Creek Ranch...don't know who they belong to, but they look pretty healthy.


Ruins of workers cabins at Coal Creek Rapid. They were planning on damming the river at coal creek back in the 40s. I'm very happy they abandoned the plan!


Sumner's Amphitheatre. Beautiful spot.


That's it for the Deso TR.

In other teleknitter news:

Tele-age:
Friday Oct 14th we brought the skis and the dog up to the mountains for the day. Above Silverton, up by one of the 13,000 ft passes was our goal. To see if we could find snow and ski. The road got bad around 11,500 or so, so we parked and hiked. I found an old mining road that had enough snow to do a little ski touring on, but nothing good enough to make turns. Oh well, a bad day in the mountains beats any day in the office!

Knitt-age:
Still working on Cozy. About halfway now.
I pulled out the VK shawl and placed the stitches from the provisional cast on on the needle for the trim on the other side (But didn't knit anything). I'm thinking I'll rip the edging from the first side off too now, I can see some mistakes. Might be a while on this one.
Socks: Almost to the heel on sock #1!
Haven't been knitting too much, but plan to tonight.
I got my SP package yesterday, full of Halloween-y goodness and fun stuff...if my digital camera wasn't broken, I'd show you!

Garden:
Still growing! Slowing down for sure...but I picked three huge colanders of tomatoes, eggplants, tomatillos and chiles over the weekend. Made awesome eggplant dip that was crying out for a roasted leg of lamb...so I made that too!

Cheers for now,
Teleknitter (Sarah).

I hope to get knittage pics soon...we have to figure out this camera thing.

6 Comments:

At 7:02 PM, Blogger Sherazade96 said...

OMG! Those pictures are awesome! And I've never seen a moose in the wild....and I live in freaking upstate New York! I'm totally jealous! I'm glad that you had such an amazing time! Keep the pictures rolling.

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger thudhead said...

nice trip. Linda and I did Deso a few years back in our canoe. We've seen river otters furhter down stream in the laberith section. It seems odd to see a critter that you associate with wetter climates in the middle of the desert.

 
At 7:28 AM, Anonymous Sassy said...

You woke up to the sound of rock fall? How tremendously exciting! It's so beautiful that you are so close with nature and all it entails. I'm jealous, but happy for you.

Take care under falling rocks!

Love,
Sassy.

 
At 8:41 AM, Anonymous othersarah said...

beautiful pics... I am dying to see your lace scarf... I'm really dying to make one myself but that will have to wait for after christmas...

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger dogsled_stacie said...

Hey cool photos Sarah! Love the abandoned dwellings and petroglyph pics! Thanks!

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger funhog and fundogs said...

So cool you saw a moose!

That's a boy moose, he has horns!

Both sexes of the caribou and (wild) sheep have horns :)

I miss floating.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home